Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Great Expectations for Samoa

In less than 30 hours I will begin 12 months as an Australian Youth Ambassador for Development (AYAD) in Apia, the capital of Samoa. On Friday, March 14, I'll be flying out to work as a hydrology engineer in the Water Resources division of the Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment and Meteorology.

To begin the Samoan version of my blog/journal, I though it'd be best to start with some expectations for the coming year. Then, when I finish my final post, I'll compare these expectations with what actually eventuated 12 months down the track.

So... will it be an extended summer holiday in a Pacific Island paradise or a hellish ride of misplaced hopes and derailed plans??

Hopefully neither. I wouldn't be satisfied with either a self-indulgent life of luxury or a mistake-ridden car crash in slow motion. My expectations for life in Samoa are...

1. Personal challenge. Having being forced to be a decision-maker while adapting to life in Scotland in recent years, I imagine that Fa'a Samoa ("the Samoan way") will have its own set of unique personal challenges. The things I'm most likely to find difficult are:

(i) the slower pace of life;

(ii) cultural Christianity (especially any unrepentant hypocrisy);

(iii) the humidity;

(iv) learning the language;

(v) balancing work, study, relationships (in Samoa & overseas), church, sport and relaxation.

2. Work goals. To be honest, I have very modest expectations about what can be achieved in 12 months. I imagine this to be the best I could hope for:

(i) improved coverage of flow gauges in rivers near major towns/villages;
(ii) slightly better trained young employees in yield assessment and water resource monitoring;

(iii) improved staff capacity, in quality and/or quantity;

(iv) greater protection of water catchment areas through public awareness.

3. Relationships
I have increasingly realised the importance of a strong network of relationships, and this will be particularly evident in Samoa. I hope to:
(i) develop the respect and trust of locals in all the social circles within which I am engaged;
(ii) minimise the cultural barriers to communication while being strong in my own identity;

(iii) prioritise key friendships in Samoa, without neglecting important relationships overseas.

4. Spiritual. Faith in God is on the agenda in Samoa, and I hope my own journey will be challenged and strengthened by being immersed in this culture. Specifically:

(i) compare what is being spoken and practised by Samoan Christians to my own expectations/ traditions and enable that to transform my expression of faith;

(ii) understand God's heart in the Samoan context and speaking out boldly but gently;
(iii) be engaged in positive social action, especially within the activity of the churches.

Since 2001, I have been hoping to work in a developing world context. This Samoan experience will have a large bearing on whether to continue on this trajectory. Hopefully there will be growing clarity on whether this is a path best suited to my skills, desires and priorities. Through the process of journalling, these factors may very well be revealed...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
May the Lord be with you and bless you in your new role (job) and life. I hope that it is a challenging and positive time for you! I wish you well in your walk of faith, and know that God will be there with you every step of the way!
YBIC,
Guy

Anonymous said...

hey mike!

really great to read your thoughts! great to have things written down before, as a record to look back on as God works through the year! Eph 3:20 - key word..."MORE"! :)

A verse I've been thinking about constantly this week:
"I was no prophet; neither was I a propphet's son; but I was a herdsman, and a gatherer of sycamore fruit:
And the Lord took me as I followed the flock,
And the Lord said unto me, "GO..."
(Amos 7:14,15)

:)

Anonymous said...

Mike
Thats wonderful, life has been really good to you, I'm so happy for you - that pic of the Samoan beach - is just to die for - can I come in your suitcase!

All the best.
All my love
Emma Young

Donald Michael said...

Hi Mike
Great to see the Samoan Blog underway. You will be prayed for and remembered in Glasgow. It sounds exciting and challenging but know you are well capable of it.
DM

Anonymous said...

Articulating goals is not something many of us do - we may have vague ideas but often we just meander along and make decisions as needed. It's great that you've been able to reflect on where you are and where God is leading you. We're looking forward to visiting in July and seeing you immersed in the Samoan lifestyle! Love Mum

Anonymous said...

hi mike:
It is my first time reading your blogger. The photoes are hot and wild - matching your passion and expectations to your new jobvery very much.
You are a hard working 'gardener', planting your dreams and wartering them with care, hope and efforts, wish you a huge harvest one year later and gain the friuits that exactely the same as you described here.
Good luck and keep planting. ^-^
Layla

Anonymous said...

hey man....
thats pretty wicked!

strangely your goals closely reflect my own for the coming year as i begin the daily grind in hackney, east london.
(except the work ones as my knowledge of the water catchment system in london is rather limited)

peace out bro
love you
ma

Anonymous said...

Mike

Great to read your blog very entertaining good luck in all you do. My 2 sons are getting right into the rugby although Robbie aged 9 (the one that has ambitions for Glasgow Warriors then Scotland) is far more into it than Finlay aged 7. Their team is Ardrossan Accies and at recent tournament (that they came out as overall winners) they even did a mini haka!

Look after yourself good luck and good will in all you do very inspirational and enjoy all the experiences that you get in Samoa.

All the best hope your rugby career restarts, cricket continues and your injury sustained over here has no long lasting effects.

Keep in touch

John Quinn Carl Bro/Grontmij

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,

Have an awesome trip mate. Thanks for sharing some of your expectations and hopes with us. Much appreciated.

Rob.

lefobserver said...

HI FROM GREECE.
PLEASE,
CAN YOU ENTER IN MY BLOG, IN ORDER TO TAKE THE FLAG OF SAMOA AND IT IS WRITTEN IN MY MAP OF VISITORS?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
lefobserver.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!